Winter is slowly creeping down the mountains and sooner than later it will be that time of year to dust off the old skis or snowboard and get it tuned up for a winter of epic snow here in AK! Here’s a few important sites, organizations, and happenings to keep you up to date on winter fun….
Mat Su Ski Club has all their events posted on their website and offer up-to-date trail conditions and grooming reports for all your nordic needs.
- Be sure to check out the new Government Peak Nordic area off Edgerton Parks Road. This has been an exciting and long-fought project for the Mat-Su Valley. Three Nordic ski trail loops were completed in August and should be skiable this winter! Come on out and check out some new ski trails, please leave your Snowmachines at home while visiting this NON-MOTORIZED area.
- Remember to support your local trails and buy a trail pin; we also are selling these here at Backcountry Bike and Ski (cash or check only) $20 for individual, $40 for family membership.
- Junior Nordic also gearing up for winter. Check out the link here for more information. This is a great social and skill building opportunity for your young ones!
Mat Su Ski and Snowboard Club is pleased to announce it’s program for the 2013 ski/snowboard season at Alyeska Resort. This season’s plan includes two separate schedules for 8 trips. Visit their website for details!
- Schedule #1: Jan 5 & 19; Feb 2 & 16; Mar 2, 16 & 30; Apr 13
- Schedule #2: Jan 12 & 26; Feb 9 & 23; Mar 9 & 23; Apr 6 & 13
- Pick up an application here at the shop if you are interested.
- email@example.com; Don @ 907-354-7545
Backcountry Bike & Ski is excited to introduce ski/snowboard wax punch cards for the winter season! These make great gifts and also come in handy when you just need to get a few professional waxes this winter!
- 5 Nordic Glide Waxes – $50 (You save $25!)
- 5 Nordic Kick Waxes – $40 (You save $10!)
- 5 Ski/Snowboard Waxes – $50 (You save $25!)
And the one thing you have all been waiting for….. RENTALS! We are pleased to introduce both adult and kid rentals for nordic skis, snowboards, and snowshoes!
- Nordic Ski Rental Package (includes skis w/ bindings, Nordic poles, and boots) – $30/day Adults; $25/day Kids; $15 each additional day
- Snowboard Rental Package (includes board w/ bindings and boots) – $30/day Adults; $25/day Kids; $15 each additional day
- Snowshoe Rental Package (includes snowshoes and adjustable trekking poles) – $15/day; $7 each additional day
We are slowly getting in our full winter line up and are going to be carrying some awesome Swix Nordic clothing. So no need to drive to Anchorage for your winter clothing needs. We will be carrying more avalanche safety gear this year too including Avalungs and Snow Science Observation Packages!
We currently have in stock:
- Fatback Winter Fat Tire Bikes (more coming soon!)
- Rossignol Cross Country, Skate, and Backcountry Touring skis & Boots
- Rossignol Snowboards and Bindings
- Poagies for winter biking
- Biking shoe covers
- Swix wax and waxing accessories
- One Way Nordic and Skate ski poles
- Serfas Headlights for winter biking and commuting
- Black Diamond telemark binding repair and skin repair